East Elementary School
Work Hard & Be Kind
- East Elementary School
- East Home
New Canaan Public Schools holds first virtual Board of Education meeting
March 23, 2020, Board of Education meeting takes place remotely
The New Canaan Public School held its first-ever virtual meeting last night. It was hosted remotely by Superintendent of Schools Dr. Bryan Luizzi using the Zoom video conferencing platform. The meeting was held remotely as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak and was also streamed live on Facebook.
The BOE received updates from Cabinet members: Darlene Pianka, Director of Human Resources; Dr. Jo-Ann Keating, Director of Finance and Operations; Dr. Jill Correnty, Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment; Bill Tesbir, Director of Pupil and Family Services, and Dr. Luizzi.
These updates included the following:
- All schools, as of now, will be closed until April 20th
- E-Learning schedules have been adjusted this week so students would have breaks and additional time to complete lessons.
- At the high school, students have four 60 minute periods, a screen break for lunch, and independent reading at the end of the day.
- At the middle school, departments collaborate across grade levels working within the Google platform.
- 7th and 8th grade students begin their day at 8:20 a.m., 5th and 6th grade students begin at 9 a.m.
- At the elementary schools, 3rd and 4th grade students are also working with the Google platform.
- Teachers of K - 2 students are using a template and emailing parents with links as needed.
- School nurses are working with the Health Department, making calls to all the elderly on the Social Services roster to check on their needs.
- HR services are being arranged remotely.
- Purchasing and payroll functions are being handled remotely.
- Food Services is preparing lunches for students with free or reduced lunch which are delivered to the front steps of homes.
- Transportation is delivering food to students and bringing educational supplies to students who may need them.
- Custodians have made sure buildings have been cleaned for students when they return and continue to work on maintenance projects.
- NCPS remains in constant communication with local and state officials.
- Details on graduation requirements, grading during E-Learning and other pertinent information will be forthcoming.
- The budget process is continuing with the Town, and updates will be posted as they develop.