New Canaan Public Schools
- New Canaan Public Schools
Saxe Middle School Model UN Team visits NYC
Saxe Middle School students participate in International Middle School Model UN Conference
Closing ceremonies of the Model UN Conference
at the General Assembly of the United Nations, March 30, 2019.
Saxe Middle School’s Model United Nations Club (MUN) sent a 46-student delegation to the International Middle School Model UN Conference 2019 in New York City on March 29 and March 30 to tackle complicated global issues while developing crucial skills in public speaking, research, teamwork, negotiation and leadership.
This international MUN conference hosts approximately 1700 students from 83 schools from throughout the U.S. and from 12 countries. The purpose of the conference is to educate the middle school students and instill the UN culture of global awareness. To that end, students step into the shoes of ambassadors to negotiate solutions with fellow delegates to the current world issues, to resolve conflicts, and to navigate the UN’s rules of procedure. Closing ceremonies were held at the General Assembly of the United Nations.
Assigned to represent three countries, Portugal, Cameroon and UAE, the Saxe teams focused on a number of issues vitally important in this global climate. Examples included:
- International Telecommunication Union (ITU): Managing Cyber Security Threats in an Increasingly Globalized World
- World Health Organization (WHO): Cholera Crisis
- Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC): Building Post-Disaster Resilience
- Food & Agriculture Organization (FAO): Adjusting Agricultural Techniques to Climate Change
- International Labor Organization (ILO): Preserving the Rights of Migrant Workers
- United Nations Development Program (UNDP): Mechanisms of Sustaining Post-Conflict Economic Growth
The students researched issues and wrote detailed proposals. The whole process encourages deep collaboration and authentic student engagement, providing Saxe Middle School MUN members with important learning skills. Saxe Middle School teachers Deborah Line and Allison Freeman lead and guide the MUN club, and half of this year’s Saxe delegates also attended this conference last year.
Left photo: Members of the Saxe Middle School Model UN Team Lucas Liu, Ethan Xia, and Angelina Hubertus.
Right photo: Members of the Saxe Middle School Model UN Team Rowan Richey Elliott and Angelina Hubertus.
Middle photo: Saxe Middle School Model UN Team in NYC, March 2019.