Special Education Department Resources

  • Special education services end for students when they graduate from high school. (However, some students may continue to receive services from public schools until age 21.) There is no IEP in college. Students in college must qualify for services under  Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and/or the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

    Section 504 states:

    “No otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities in the United States ....shall solely by reason of his disability, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”

    The disclosure of the presence of a disability to colleges must be made by the family; it is illegal for the school to disclose this information. The decision whether or not to disclose a learning disability prior to acceptance to college or after acceptance should be discusses with your son or daughter’s guidance counselor.

    What are the differences between high school and college?

    Is your son or daughter ready for college?