Components of the Application
By the fall of senior year you should have completed most of your research, and narrowed your list to 6 – 8 colleges. Make sure all of the colleges you are applying to are listed in your Naviance Account under “Colleges I am Thinking About”.
You should have taken the ACT or SAT in spring of junior year, or registered for the ACT or SAT for the fall of senior year, when it is time to begin submitting applications.
There are many pieces that make up a completed college application. It may seem overwhelming to consider them all at once. Below is an explanation of each component of the application, and its role in the process:
1. The Application
- Create a Common Application Account at www.commonapp.org
- Many colleges accept the Common Application so it is important to create an account. Those colleges that are not on the Common Application, will have their own application on their website.
- If you use the Common Application, you need to fill it out only once, and submit to the schools you selected. Often colleges require supplementary essays and information so it is important to read application instructions carefully.
- Make sure you are aware of and honor application deadlines. We recommend that you submit applications well ahead of the deadlines. Be sure you sign each application form and pay the application fee.
- Keep a copy of your applications.
2. The Essay
- Most colleges require one essay, though some require more, and some do not require an essay. General guidelines for writing your essay can be found at this link.
3. The Teacher Recommendation
- Applications usually require 2 teacher recommendations, in addition to the recommendation that your counselor will write.
- You should choose teachers of different subjects who have taught you between grades 11– 12 and who know you well as a student. Teachers will write a single recommendation on your behalf, which will be sent electronically or by mail depending on the college requirements.
- You should speak with your teachers well in advance of the application deadlines. Be courteous in this process—give the teachers as much advance notice as possible and be aware that some teachers may request additional information. Advanced planning will allow your teacher to write a thoughtful, thorough recommendation.
- Students will be instructed on the process of submitting teacher recommendation requests early in senior year.
- Remember that a thank you note is a nice touch.
4. The Transcript
- Transcripts must be ordered through Mrs. Granite in the School Counseling office. She is available Monday through Friday from 7:30-2:30.
- Once the requests are made, the school counselor will send a transcript (which includes courses and grades from grade 9 – 12) to your college choices, along with a school profile, the Secondary School Report form, and the Counselor Recommendation. Be sure to submit transcript request forms 30 days prior to your first application deadline.
- Students will be given further information in early September on requesting transcripts.
5. Test Scores
NCHS College Application Process
- SAT and ACT scores are NOT reported on the NCHS transcript.
- Be sure to arrange for your scores to be sent by the College Board or the ACT, directly to each college to which you plan to apply. You may do this when you register for the tests, or you may do so later.
- You should arrange for your scores to be sent when you take your FINAL test. If you send your scores in June of junior year, your scores from October and November will not be sent unless you send them again.
- Keep a list of the colleges to which you have sent your scores
- The School Code for New Canaan High School is 070465
1. Schedule your Senior Appointment with your School Counselor~ One month prior to your first deadline!2. Applying through Common Application:
a. Go to www.commonapp.org (link can be found under the College Tab, under College Research, College Resources) and set up your account.b. Create your Common App. User Name and Password
3. Login to your Naviance account http://connection.naviance.com/newcanaan (see your counselor or Mrs. Granite if you have forgotten it)
a. Go to the COLLEGES Tabb. Click on Colleges I’m Thinking About
c. If all of the colleges which you are applying are not listed, click Add to List and click Lookup or Search by one of the choices on the left hand side, and add colleges.
d. Click on Colleges I’m Applying to
e. Sign the FERPA waiver form. (See tutorial)
4. When you are ready to apply, there are two options.
a. Click on the name of the college (this will link you to the college website). Look for application instructions, follow carefully, and when finished, submit.
b. Go to your Common Application and add the colleges you will be applying to through their application procedures. When colleges use the Common Application, the names of the schools must be listed in both Naviance and in Common App to be submitted successfully.
5. Requesting Transcripts: (See tutorial)
a. See Mrs. Granite in the School Counseling office one month prior to your first application deadline. (It is not necessary to have completed your application prior to ordering transcripts).
b. Mrs. Granite will give you a form to fill out to process your request. You will need to fill out this form in the Counseling office so leave time to do this. Mrs. Granite and/or your counselor will check the list against your Naviance account.
c. Give the college at least 2-3 weeks to show that your transcript has been received. Your counselor’s letter and a school profile are included in this submission.
d. If you have additional transcript requests, please see Mrs. Granite to add names to the original list.
6. Teacher Recommendations: (See tutorial)
a. See your teacher personally to request that they write a recommendation for you. Give them at least 3 weeks prior to your application deadline to write a recommendation.
b. Mrs. Granite will provide you a yellow Teacher Recommendation Request Form to give to each teacher. This form will allow you to indicate which college your teacher needs to send his/her recommendation. You will need to determine how many recommendations each college requires as some schools may not allow more than one recommendation.c. In Naviance, go to Colleges I’m Applying:i. Scroll down to Teacher Recommendations Click Add/Cancel Requests. This provides the electronic link for them to send their recommendation.
ii. Click on the dropdown menu and choose the teacher(s) from the list. Add any notes to the teacher in the box.
iii. Click Update Requests – this will send an email to the teacher stating your request and will add the request to the teacher’s Naviance account. It will also record your request in your Naviance account. When the teacher has completed the recommendation, they will mark it as 'Completed'.
v. See Mrs. Granite or your counselor to confirm that all materials, including recommendations have been submitted successfully.